How much does it cost to lose milk production due to high SCC rates?
Mastitis is an inflammation of the mammary gland in a cow’s udder usually due to bacterial infection. And, it's a dairy farmer’s worst nightmare.
Every farmer knows treating a sick cow or replacing it can be expensive and time-consuming.
Successfully preventing mastitis in a herd hinges entirely on early detection and treatment.
If SCC drops from 300,000 to 150,000, your milk yield could, potentially, increase by 238 kg per cow—100 cows = $16,700 additional annual revenue.
That’s where the true value of Dairy Quality’s mobile microscope devices and the Dairy Health Check mobile app for iPod touch or iPhone comes into view.
Our technology will:
- Test cow’s milk on the spot and get instant SCC results
- Improve milk quality and production
- Protect premiums, and lower penalties
- Identify potential pathogens in individual cows
- Effectively track trends in tests of bulk storage tanks
- Reduce the spread of mastitis throughout your herd, lower culling rates, and decrease sick cow treatment costs
- Maintain more accurate information on your herd by sharing data in real-time via email or by electronic interface with your existing herd management software