Instantaneous, accurate SCC and ketosis test results using your iPod® touch or iPhone®
A Dairy Quality device gives you somatic cell count (SCC), or ketosis, testing right in the milking parlor, and anywhere else you need to check milk quality or the health of cows.
The devices work with an iPod Touch or iPhone to deliver test results. They provide SCC analysis and an image of cells in test samples in seconds, giving you the control to make quick decisions about your cow's health and its impact on your bulk tank more frequently.
Using Dairy Quality’s technology is easy. Here’s how it works:
- Collect a milk sample with the propodium iodide reagent or ketosis enzyme Dairy Quality slide,
- Insert your milk sample slide into the device and depress the plunger to mix the milk with the reagent or enzymes to break down the cell membranes and add fluorescence,
- Take an image of the sample using the iPod/iPhone camera lens, the light source and our precision microscope,
- Initiate the countdown to push the milk through the slide and spread it thin so the light source can enhance the flourescent somatic cells,
- Wait as the app uses the camera to capture the sample image and run the algorithm to count the cell and provide lab-accurate SCC, or ketosis, results,
- View the results on your screen once the process is complete,
- Choose to save this information to your cow file for future reference, or discard the results and run another test.
A Clear Visualization of Your Milk Samples
Dairy Quality devices provide instant and accurate SCC readings, and display an image of the actual milk sample showing the presence of somatic cells. Viewable on your iPod Touch or iPhone in seconds, the difference between a ‘good’ milk sample and a ‘problem’ milk sample is obvious.
It’s the cutting-edge Dairy Health Check mobile app that makes all of this possible.
Unlike other devices which use techniques similar to those of in-line flow cytometers or other methods, our system derives the SCC by actually counting the cells. Our unique, patent-pending microscope and light technology, and complex programming, make it happen. With a Dairy Quality device and slides, the Dairy SCC mobile app, and your iPod Touch or iPhone, determining the quality of your milk and the health of your herd has never been easier or more efficient.
Identifying the Cause of High SCC Readings
When troubleshooting a herd with an SCC problem or energy imbalance, you need to quickly determine what is causing stubbornly high readings, and how to remedy the situation quickly to avert significant financial loss.
By observing the behavior of cells in your collected samples, a Dairy Quality device can help identify the possible cause of high SCC readings by segregating and highlighting which pathogens are most prominent in a test sample. That gives farmers the information they need to evaluate and treat sick cows.
What is the Dairy Health Check?
It has features to help store and track the test results of your herd, and the dates and results are stored by cow tag. Information can be sent from the iPod touch or iPhone as reports, or the data can be used with your existing herd management software.
To make this pioneering dairy farmer’s app even easier to use, cow herd tables from other programs can be imported directly into the Dairy Health Check.
iPod and iPhone are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.